The Bergman Brothers novels are standalone contemporary romances about a Swedish-American family of five brothers, two sisters, and their wild adventures as they each find happily ever after. Set on the sunny West Coast, these slow-burn romances pack a punch of heat and heartfelt emotion as much as laugh-out-loud humor.
Please scroll down for an update and details on Book 1, ONLY WHEN IT'S US' recent revision and republication!
Only When It's Us Revision, Expansion, and Republication Note, August 21, 2021: Spoilers ahead!
Since beginning my author journey, I have grown in my knowledge of how best to write authentic representation. Where I am as an author now is not where I began. When I learned that aspects of the late-deafened representation in Bergman Book 1, Only When It's Us fell short of the standard for authenticity that I strive for, I wanted to correct that through critique and resolution of its inaccuracies. Facing contractual obligations that I worried might prevent this, I pursued the help of my professional support system and we found a way to achieve what I’d hoped.
Only When It's Us now reflects the consideration and authenticity I aspire to in all the books I write. While no one character, let alone living person’s, experience represents the totality of a disability, this story’s portrayal is now informed by a Deaf authenticity reader whose experience of being late-deafened echoes my character’s, someone who saw value in Willa and Ryder’s story and who diligently consulted with me to make this book its better self.
Throughout the book, revisions were focused on subtle but impactful shifts in:
- accuracy of how conversations take place between Ryder and others (less lip-reading until combined with hearing augmentation via hearing aids, more texting-based conversations, a bit more ASL).
- representation of better accessibility measures in the learning environment, including live captioning during classroom lectures.
- how Ryder frames his relationship to being late-deafened, how he describes using and adjusting his hearing aids, his relationship to the complexity of that process.
- consideration, respect, and inclusivity/accessibility efforts made by those around Ryder.
All of this was informed by my authenticity reader who both critiqued the original version of the story as well as my interpretation of her feedback. The result is a plot that is virtually the same but for two revisions:
- the use of cochlear implants (CIs) is no longer included. This is not a commentary on CIs but rather a choice to focus on the experience of my authenticity reader and her ability to offer me guidance on accurate, nuanced representation of hearing aids. (Significant change to Chapter 19, then subtle changes from there to end).
- Ryder’s initial interaction with Willa’s mother demonstrates clear respect of bodily autonomy, incorporation of accessibility tools, and mutually comfortable communication (Chapter 20).
Beyond Book 1, Only When It's Us, the only other impact of these changes bears out in Chapters 1 and 3 of Bergman Book 2, Always Only You, in which brief mention of CIs is now removed.
Only When It's Us has been revised, expanded, and republished in both ebook and paperback formats. The updated text includes a note titled, “Revised and Expanded 2021 Edition,” so you can ensure you are reading the latest and finalized version. If you’ve purchased a digital copy of the earlier version, originally published April 1, 2020, you should soon have the option to update your copy* and the front matter should include a note that looks like this (for screen readers, alt text describes this image's words):
As of December 7, 2021, this book has been fully re-recorded and republished for audio, and now reflects the latest and finalized version of the book. You can ensure you have the latest copy of the audiobook by verifying it has a 2021 publication year and the ISBN: 9781666168860. While no-cost updates are not available for audio as they were e-books, you can return your previous purchase of the old version if you are within the return window of your vendor, and then repurchase the new copy. The newest version is now the only available version to loan from Hoopla and Scribd, and to purchase from all other vendors. Unfortunately some libraries will continue to circulate (as with the older paperback) the previous 2020 version; however, I have petitioned OverDrive (who distributes the audiobooks to libraries) to notify all libraries who purchased the older version to ask them to remove the older edition from circulation. To know if you have the latest version from your library, the 2021 cover includes (unlike the 2020 cover) the tagline above the title: "It's all fun and games until your heart's on the line... Who gets the last laugh then?"
I am unendingly thankful to the community of readers who value authentic representation and have supported my growth as a writer, whose hearts have welcomed my Bergman books, and who love romance for the reason I do: to savor the joy of love in all its forms, to celebrate the gift of intimacy, and to affirm that we are all worthy of loving belonging, just as we are.
* How to ensure you receive automatic updates or manually request a kindle update:
To get the updated content of your book to your device, first you need to enable automatic updates:
1. Access to MYCD and sign in with your Amazon credentials: www.amazon.com/mycd (you’ll need to edit this URL if you have purchased your book on a different marketplace)
2. Select the “Preferences” tab.
3. Click “On” under Automatic Book Updates.
Customers who download eBooks through Kindle Unlimited will receive the updated content as long as they haven’t returned the Kindle Unlimited borrow before the content update is initiated.
If you purchased your book or did not return your book through Kindle Unlimited, then, verify that your device is sufficiently charged and your internet connection is enabled. Finally, confirm these steps:
For Fire tablets:
1. Tap (or Open) the Quick Settings. Depending on the model, you will also need to tap the Settings gear icon.
2. Tap Sync (Check for items, if required).
1. Select Quick Actions (gear) icon or Menu.
2. Select Sync My Kindle or Sync and Check for Items.
For any Kindle E-Reader Model 6th generation and newer:
1. From Home, tap the Quick Actions menu (cog icon).
2. Tap Sync My Kindle.